Welcome!

Welcome!

Friday, June 15, 2012

Growing Up

This week has been an emotional one for this Mommy.

Right before my eyes my once first, precious newborn has become school age in a short 5 years.

We spent the better part of two weeks preparing for the end of preschool. Joey, not really understanding that he wouldn't be attending Immanuel Lutheran anymore; focused on telling stories of his friends he has made in the class. I focused on the progress he has made from November, when we first enrolled him, to the middle of June. He stands taller now. Any glimpse of a goofy toddler has now amassed into a good looking little boy who still makes the most funniest faces imaginable.
Once a child who had trouble expressing his emotions in words now begins most conversations with, "This makes me feel....", "I feel like...", "I really like...".

In the span of 7.5 months my little baby is now a boy. As of today, Joey is now a preschool graduate who is registered and ready for Kindergarten!



For end of year teacher gifts we made planters that included these tags...




Earlier in the week, my friend Carly and I registered her son, Gabe and Joey to participate in the weekly Track and Field meet at Sparks stadium.
Now I know that I am super competitive when it comes to sports, but I was shocked to see that "competitiveness" translate to Joey's sports as well. I learned a humbling lesson this week in the nature of letting Joey learn the ropes of competitive sports and me being there only for support and emphasizing the fun. I know Joey had fun, but I also know it hurt him not to win when it came to the races. After Joey collapsed at the finish line in tears for not "winning" we had a good talk on the importance of doing this just for fun and that practice ensures that we do our best. I know that he moved past it pretty quick, but I felt awful that I somehow instilled in him that winning was the most important thing. It was just another example of me having a hard time accepting that Joey is getting bigger and that I am going to have to somehow manage not to get so nervous and excited for his sports. When did I become that parent who lives vicariously through her kids?



Softball Throw.



I think this may have been Joey and Gabe's favorite part of the meet.



Running!



Showing off his ribbons.

0 comments: