Welcome!

Welcome!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Lego Birthday Party

I understand this entry comes almost 3 months late, but I can't miss the opportunity to highlight the uber fun 'Lego Birthday Party' we did for Joey's 5th Birthday.

I think the best thing I did for this party was only have a handful of kids there. I threw around the idea of inviting his old preschool class but at the end of the day it would have been hard to accommodate 16 hyper active 5 year olds.

There is something about handmade invitations that really set the tone for the kind of party I wanted to give Joey. Other then buying plates and silverware everything else was pretty much done DIY and drawing inspiration from Joey's Lego's and to the wonderful world of Pinterest!







The focal point for the party was at the kid's table. I turned squarish yellow plates into Lego Heads. I transferred the Lego head idea over to marshmallows dipped in yellow candy coating on popped them on some sticks. In addition, I spray painted baby food jars yellow and cut some vinyl faces out to make place holders for the kids. The place holders were written in Lego inspired Font and printed and laminated for each kid to keep.

I wrapped square juice boxes in construction paper and added some raised circles to give the Lego Brick effect to the drinks. The cake, didn't turn out pretty but it was pretty obvious that I was trying to go for different shapes of Lego's. The frosting ended up being a disaster, but thankfully I had my mom to ice the cake. She put all those years of working at a bakery into good use.






The party favor bags drew the same inspiration as the invitations and the Lego name tags for each child. Fill those babies up with some dollar store bubbles, cars and some different kinds of candy and we were good to go .



Doing most of the party DIY, meant also making the pinata, Lego brick of course. It was actually super easy to make. Using a diaper box, red crepe paper, some paper cups for the 3d effect and some good old fashioned Elmers glue I was able to create this pull tab pinata (no hit). Word to the wise though, if you choose to do ribbon pulls make sure the ribbon is strong. Each kid had their own ribbon to pull, but only one ribbon was actually connected to the box opening. That ribbon broke, so I ended up raining candy on them instead. Good thing the kids didn't care!



We pretty much relied on snack type foods for the party. However, one of my favorite desserts beside the Lego cake, was the 12 layer Jello cups. Not gonna lie, it was a labor of love as each layer had to set before I could pour the next one in, but it was fun to do and it was so delicious!



As far as games went I relied mainly on good Mr. Sunshine and Joey's outdoor toys. The day was beautiful and hot. I added some green sand to the sand box which may have been a mistake as most of the sand ended up in the driveway.



Of course I can't not share this little gem of a photo of Uncle Robb riding the trike.

0 comments: