Welcome!

Welcome!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Decorating

First off I have to say, please check out Just A Girl's Blog. Her design ideas are amazing and one day I want to be able to have a beautiful home to decorate and use her design tips. She truly is brilliant and creative!

Decorating an apartment doesn't seem to go together in one sentence.
Since we have moved in in December I have found it difficult to put things where they mesh well with everything else. This doesn't surprise me, it took me over year to make our last house feel like a home and decorate to a point that it looked cozy. I want to decorate my apartment but am afraid to. One of the hardest parts of moving in the first place was leaving behind the permanent decor in our old house, but I always know that I will have my own place to decorate again.
For now, I am grateful that our apartment management really is all about making our new place feel cozy and comfortable. Before we moved in they painted accent walls for us. We opted to leave the accent walls in the living room and our master bedroom the current color (mocha brown and hunter green). I would never choose to paint my master bedroom hunter green so I opted for the "when in Rome" approach.
When it came to Joey's room, Josh's only stipulation was that he got to pick the color. Since I was the final deciding factor on choosing to call The Metropolitan our home, he wanted to pick the color. This, understandably so, made me nervous. I had plans for a Mickey Mouse themed bedroom and felt only a primary color would suffice. But Josh pleasantly surprised me!
Joey's room was quite simple to decorate without really having to commit any permanence to the decor. I picked up some vinyl decals from Costco that set me back $15 and they are easily removed; although they are a one time use decor. I still need to sew up Joey's comforter which really is the matching bed sheet and some flannel material in circle shapes. I also need to extend the curtains a bit. The windows in his room are surprisingly long!

All in all I am pleased with his room. The design goal was to be a fun kids room but not to commercially or busy. It was also important for me to have a simple and in expensive design that would be OK to change in two years time.

I don't feel like these pictures do the room any justice and I also realize there is so much more I can do, but with being on a limited budget I think I did an OK job!


0 comments: