Welcome!

Welcome!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Van's Birth Story

The original plan for Van's birth was to have a VBAC without induction. At our 41 week important I was barely 1cm dilated and only 50% effaced. My doctor said he was willing to bend over backwards and do what I wanted in terms of the VBAC, but that I would have to be induced the next day. He said that the odds of me being in labor for two days and ending up with an emergency c-section were fairly high. After thinking it over and talking with Josh we opted to do elect for a repeat c-section. It was more important for me to successfully breastfeed Van then to undergo a trial of labor only to end up with an emergency surgery. There is a huge difference in terms of healing time and coping with a routine c-section than an emergency one.

On September 7, Josh and I headed to Tacoma General Hospital for a schedule c-section at 4pm. It was weird to nonchalantly walk into labor and delivery and get prepped for surgery. I was able to see my in laws, my Mom, my sister and Joey right before the surgery. Naturally, things were running behind and I walked into the OR (isn't it strange to just walk into an OR for surgery?) about 4pm. The environment was cold and I was all by myself. The anesthesiologist came into give me a spinal block and warned me that I might get sick because it drops your blood pressure and I already have low blood pressure. Sure enough, I was nauseated and panicking. The nurses kept calling back to bring Josh into surgery, but it took awhile. The doctors came in and actually started the procedure before Josh came in. When he finally came in he said there was a problem with the scrubs they gave him. Apparently they were too small and they had to find a pair that actually fit his body, which ended up being doctors scrubs. As soon as he came in and they gave me meds for nausea I finally felt better.



The whole process took less then 30 minutes and at 4:57pm we heard Van cry for the first time. I cried, Josh beamed with joy. I consider it one of those beautiful moments where you are so happy, you cry. It's only happened two other times in my life; when Joey was born and on our wedding day. While the doctors sewed me up, Van was cleaned up, weighed, measured and prepped for Daddy to hold him for the first time. As soon as we were brought to the recovery room I immediately nursed Van while Josh ran in and out updating our family on his arrival and sharing pictures. The recovery room was odd and peaceful all at once. For one, I got to hold Van and finally feel relief and happiness that he had arrived, but on the other hand another Mom was recovering in the partition next to me and we could also hear the many sounds of someone laboring down the hallway. We spent about an hour in recovery before I was wheeled out on the hospital bed to the hallway where a big group of our family and friends were waiting. Funny enough, we all fit in one elevator going on up to our room. Imagine me in a huge hospital bed and about 10 other people, plus the nurse in a cramped elevator.



The rest of the hospital stay went swimmingly. I was out of bed and walking around (slowly) 12 hours after surgery and Josh was a champ at changing Van and handing him to me to nurse and hold whenever needed.



The nurses and staff were amazing. I actually cannot believe that the 3 days we were there went so well. From the surgery, to recovery, to caring for a newborn again after 4 long years we drove away from the hospital on the 10th feeling relaxed and ready to bring our family of 4 home for the first time.




0 comments: