Welcome!

Welcome!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

I love Lent. It's a good reminder that we too can be renewed in our faith and in our convictions. It's also a good time to reflect on our priorities (or lack their of) and be able to self assess the changes we need to make in our lives to be more like Jesus.

Josh, Joey and I went to the Ash Wednesday Mass today. Josh and I can both agree that the Gospel of Matthew is one of our favorite gospels and today was no exception. The Gospel, in a gist, talked about that we should make the celebration of our faith a private matter. We shouldn't show off to others how much we pray, fast, or give charity too. By doing so we are bragging and condoning self righteousness. The things we do in our hearts, like any charity work, should be done because its the right thing to do, not because we want to look good in the eyes of others. The only person we need to "look good" in front of is Christ when he face him on judgment day.

Part of the season of Lent means digging deep within our selves to eliminate the temptations we face in everyday life. Jesus spent those 40 days in the desert willfully declining every single temptation the devil put in front of him because he loved us so much. During Lent its time to show Jesus how much we love him back and how strong we can be to resist temptation.

I hope to make this Lent better then any years prior. I hope to teach Joey more about Jesus and find more room in our hearts not only for Jesus but for others as well.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

You don't know me, I'm just a fellow mom in cyberspace. :) Thank you so much for this. Being a born-again Christian I always thought that Lent was purely a Catholic thing and never participated. That is, until a friend of mine a few years ago explained it exactly like you just did. Thank you and God Bless you and your family. And oh, btw...love the new blog!! :)

Keana C. said...

Kelly, thank you for the comment. I appreciate that!
I went and visited your page but it wouldn't let me leave any comments. Let me know if you wanted some links for some cute backgrounds and such.
Also, I liked your post on how you find purpose in your blog. I too am trying to find camaraderie with other blog moms and was one of the big reasons I created my new blog.