Welcome!

Welcome!

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

This year marked 5 years of getting to celebrate Mother's Day. As an official card carrying member of the Mom club I can't help but think back to the days when being a Mother was only a hope or wish to have someday. My first inclination is to pat myself on the back. I have come a LONG way from the person I used to be. I used to get really excited for the weekends and Thursday nights. It meant drinking, hanging with friends and causing mischief around campus. When homework came around it meant writing 5 page papers the night before they were due and only skimming text you were supposed to read. It meant not having to worry about anyone but myself. I had a bit of culture shock after marrying Josh and "taking care" of him. But not as much as when I became a Mom. Nothing prepares you for the tiny human who takes over your heart, body, mind and every day life.
I fully admit that the first 2 years of parenting were the hardest thing I have ever done. Partly because Joey was a demanding and energetic baby, but it also had to do with turning myself into a well meaning, intentional human being; someone who cared more about her family than herself. The journey itself is the real thrill. Getting there and realizing that one day you care more about your son having a good day at school than your own day going as planned is the real success.

Even though this is the 5th Mother's Day, it feels all the more real this year and even more special than years past. It may be because I have two amazing boys and the blessing of a third child in a weeks time (hormones and emotions!), but it may be because I feel a unique honor that I was chosen to be these kid's Mom. I think at some point or another we all realize that if we conceived a month earlier or later we would have different kids, but the fact that we have the children we have is very special and unique. These children of mine love me in a way only a child could and I love these children of mine only in a way that their mother could.

On Friday, Joey came home eager to give me my Mother's Day card he made at school. I was pleasantly surprised by his answers to the 'Mom questionnaire' and it didn't end there.



Dad took him to Costco to do more shopping. On his own he picked out cherries and a Chocolate Mouse Cake. Josh added in hanging baskets. a card set and an Avocado bowl. My boys know me so well. I love Costco.

Even though there is only one day out of the year that actually celebrates Mothers. I personally feel that everyday is Mother's Day. I feel grateful that I get to take care of my little family. I don't mind that I am the one who cooks and cleans and does most of the diaper changes. The job isn't so bad when you feel honored to do it. I feel even more blessed that I don't feel the need for a break away from my family. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, but I always find myself missing my little family and just wanting to come home. I am so lucky that I get to come home to this after getting my hair done.

Or that my days might consist of 'naked sprinkler time'.



Or that I am married to this wonderful and amazing Man.

Being a Mom is great. Being a Mom in this wonderful family is a success I will gladly pat myself on the back for.



0 comments: